By Shrikesh Laxmidas
LISBON Nov 8 (Reuters) – The ruling MPLA’s December Central Committee meeting will be closely watched after media reports suggested long-serving President Jose Eduardo dos Santos had chosen a successor and may step down before or one year after a 2012 general election.
The weekly Novo Jornal said in September dos Santos had selected Manuel Vicente, head of state oil company Sonangol, as his successor, but a party spokesman said no decisions had been taken and the party would appoint its candidate in December.
Meanwhile, several anti-government protests organised this year show Angolan youths are ready to air their grievances about human rights, social conditions and high unemployment but also that the authorities are willing to respond with force.
On the economic front, technical problems in oil production have led the government to slash its growth forecast for this year, highlighting the need to diversify the economy. More…….